Wednesday 8 April 2015

Sepia Saturday 274 : 11 April 2015


Looking out of the window and the sun is shining and Spring is in the air. The prospect for the coming months is warm summer sun, blue skies and Factor 98 Sun-screen. It is therefore a timely reminder from your Sepia Saturday host that you should be thinking of ordering your winter coal now. Our theme image for Sepia Saturday 274 - post your posts on or around Saturday 11 April 2015 - comes from the Library Company of Philadelphia (via the ever-faithful Flickr Commons) and shows a World War 1 era poster for the United States Fuel Administration. If you are a theme then you can think about horses, carts, coal, fuel, fires or posters. If you are a dreamer you can think about toasted bread around an open fire. Just make sure that amidst all that thinking you post your post and then link it to the list below.

And spare a thought for what is on the cart for the next couple of weeks

275 : Wires / Cables / Ladders / Sky

276 : Babies / Newlyweds (not necessarily in that order)

Such thoughts are for the future. For the present start shovelling those lumps of imaginary coal into the creative furnace that is Sepia Saturday




15 comments:

ScotSue said...

Quick off the mark this week as I plough my furrow through the A-Z Challenge. Here I recount the story of my Oldham family connections - coalmen down three generations.

La Nightingail said...

Coal & where & how it burns.

Brett Payne said...

A grand tour from me this week.

tony said...

I;m in! Hoping everybody had a good Easter x

Jofeath said...

My husband never knew hi grandfather Joseph Featherston, who was a coal train driver.

Wendy said...

My great grandparents lived next door to a coal dealer -- how's that for a connection?

Postcardy said...

Pennsylvania Anthracite Coal--some vintage postcards and videos.

Unknown said...

No coal...but plenty of harness for those horses!

DougVernX said...

I'm a bit serious this week. Sorry if I'm preachy.

Barbara Rogers said...

Not vintage to share, but the devastation of mountaintops, political actions to stop their removals for coal; and a whole lot of horses.

Mike Brubaker said...

A postcard that was my alternate choice for last weekend. I've paired it with another postcard which has horses to fit the theme.

Little Nell said...

Equestrian statues for me.

Boobook said...

This week I'm using a photo I purchased rather than one from our own albums.

Kristin said...

I was able to blog both A to Z and Sepia Saturday with Jefferson Cleage and his link to coal mining in Rhea County TN

Anonymous said...

Used a poster which I can lonk to a postcard I had copied. Recruiting for the First World War.