Monday 30 June 2014

Sepia Saturday 235 : 5 July 2014


Back in the good old days, before all this cheek kissing took hold of humanity, you would greet friend and foe alike with a hearty handshake. You could judge the strength of character with a handshake, determine sincerity, secure agreement, and solve most of the problems known to man (and woman) kind. Our prompt image this week shows just such a handshake, and the shaker in question will be well known to people from the United Kingdom above a certain age, for it is the late Prime Minister, Harold Wilson. The photograph comes from the Tyne and Wear Museums collection on Flickr Commons and dates back to the late 1960s. If you are in search of a theme for Sepia Saturday 235, there is, of course, handshakes, and also politicians, pipes and kids sat on fences (which makes a change from politicians sat on fences). All you have to do is to post your post on or about Saturday 5th July 2014 and then link to the list below. But first of all, take a look at what is in store if you vote for Sepia Saturday.

236 : Hair, drying, beauty, nails, strange headgear.

237 : Ballet Dancers, art, poses, chiffon

But all such things are for the future. And the future is bright. The future is wonderful. The future is anything you want it to be. Just vote for Sepia Saturday and shake my hand in agreement.


16 comments:

Kristin said...

Cleage for Congress - 1966 campaign with campaign newsletter and memories.

La Nightingail said...

This wasn't the easiest prompt in the world to match, but I found a few things . . .

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry folks, my interests just didn't come close to the prompt, so I give you what I have. The genealogy of looking into a name's origins.

Postcardy said...

My post is only loosely related to politicians, and possibly to Independence Day, July 4.

Kristin said...

Postcardy, it says your page doesn't exist.

Wendy said...

Don't trust a dated photo.

DougVernX said...

I might be off topic with the prompt but on topic for the date of the post. Happy "Fourth" everyone.

Bob Scotney said...

I found a few pipe smokers.

Mike Brubaker said...

No politicians or hand shakes in my photo collection so I went with men in arms instead.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

I settled on pipes but had other options. Our albums are full of pictures which are interesting to few. Those classic hand shake pictures are such a bore.

Sean Bentley said...

Glad to see Postcardy's tangential post, and i offer my own.

Anonymous said...

I went where the handshakes probably were but without pictures of the actual handshakes.

Anonymous said...

Zero politicians, two handshakes, three pipes and one of children fence sitting

Tattered and Lost said...

My photo has nothing to do with handshakes, but my brief story is about my handshake with a government official.

Little Nell said...

I was struggling too but then I took a different aspect of the prompt. Phew - skin of the teeth this time!

Sensible Footwear said...

A very, very late entry! 'Gentleman With Pipe'.