Tuesday 27 May 2014

Sepia Saturday 230 : 31 May 2014

Grace Sutherland had long hair. What more can be said? Our theme image for this week features an 1890 Carte de Visite which forms part of the George Eastman House collection on Flickr Commons. So what do we know about Grace Sutherland? Here is an extract from her Wikimedia entry:

"Miss Grace Sutherland was one of the seven Sutherland sisters, a group of singing ladies from Lockport/ Niagara, N.Y., that were famous for their very long hair. The sisters spent much of their time travelling from city to city in side-shows from about 1882 until about 1907: in 1882 with W.W. Coles Colossal Show, by 1884 with “Barnum and Bailey’s Greatest Show on Earth”, and also posing in drug store windows or hotels lobbies. On group photos the sisters were always placed in such a way that it seemed all of the sisters had hair reaching the floor. Grace Sutherland had five feet long, auburn mane. All of her life she was very proud of it. She never married and lived until 1946."

So where can you go with your theming. Marilyn - who chose the image - suggests "very long hair, mantelpiece, statuette, books, and carvings", and you might like to add CdV's to that list. However long or close cropped your entry is going to be, all you need to is to post your post on or around Saturday 31 May 2014 and link your post to the list below.

Before you start combing through your collection here is a little preview of what is to come in the weeks ahead.

231 : The only theme this week is the lack of a theme. Follow that.

232 : Transport by car, transport by train, transport by cars on trains, transport.

Those sepians who can see through their fringes will have noticed that I have not been around too much over the last few weeks. Things are a little hectic around Sepia Towers at the moment in preparation of my son's wedding on the 21st June. And the 21st June just happens to be a Saturday, of course. I would love to invite you all to the event - and in a typically sepian way, I can. So, with your permission, I would like to dedicate our theme for Sepia Saturday 233 to Alexander and Heather.


But all that is for the future. For the moment get your hair in order and get set for Sepia Saturday 230.


22 comments:

La Nightingail said...

At first I didn't think I was going to have much to offer. And then it got kind of wild . . .

Kristin said...

Postcard with hair to the floor and the story of my 4th daughter's birth in 1978.

Jofeath said...

Can't quite match those ladies with their hair flowing to the floor, but all the same I hope you enjoy my selection of family photos on the topic.

Bob Scotney said...

Can you sort the fact from fiction?

violet s said...

I would think the sisters also spent much of their time brushing the tangles out of their hair (or each others hair, as that would be easier)

ScotSue said...

I can't quite compete on the length, but some hair days are on view here.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm like Jo and just amassed some family photos, including one before 1920.

Sean Bentley said...

Thank goodness hair is ubiquitous, I wasn't sure I could scrounge a theme out of my post!

Wendy said...

The long and short of it ~

Alan Burnett said...

A calculating short post on a long subject

Boobook said...

Plaits etc

Postcardy said...

A "miracle" hair renewer...

Little Nell said...

I almost didn’t submit this week as we have visitors staying and I didn’t have any hairy pictures. Then, I had a thought!

Little Nell said...

I almost didn’t submit this week as we have visitors staying and I didn’t have any hairy pictures. Then, I had a thought!

Little Nell said...

I almost didn’t submit this week as we have visitors staying and I didn’t have any hairy pictures. Then, I had a thought!

Mike Brubaker said...

For contrast I submit four lady violinists with short hair.

tony said...

hair we go.....

Tattered and Lost said...

I'm giving you the short of it.

DougVernX said...

I had a hairy time trying to find this old post!

Anonymous said...

Didn't think I was going to make it this week so have just added a bit of fun (hopefully)

anyjazz said...

I had one of the Sutherland Sisters too!

luvlinens said...

Oops... forgot to link. Check out the Lady Godiva.