Tuesday 13 May 2014

Sepia Saturday 228 : 17 May 2014


What on earth is happening in this 1904 photograph from the Collection of the National Library of Ireland? If you look at the Flickr Commons page for the image, it is full of information about who it features, where it was taken, what the weather was like that day : but it is strangely quiet on the greatest mystery of all, what are they doing? There clearly is an Edwardian lady and a young lad in a sailor suit and they seem to be filling a bag with sand. But why? If you are hoping to follow a theme this week you can go with the seaside, with the sand, with the sandbag, with the sailor suit or you can work out what they are playing at and match that. Whatever you choose to do, just post your post on or around Saturday 17th May 2014 and then add a link to the list below.

Before the sands of time run out for Sepia Saturday 228, you might like to take a look forward at what is coming over the next few weeks.

229 : School dorms, famous beds, pennants

230 : Long hair, long hair and errrr - long hair

231 : Who says we don't take note of suggestions. So here it is - Open Theme
Saturday. As long as its old and an image - post it.

Now that gives you something to think about, doesn't it? But there again you will need something to think about whilst you are filling all those sand bags.




24 comments:

Jinksy said...

Long time no see! But I couldn't resist this subject, even though I have no photo of my own to use. My thanks go to the unknown photographer, not to mention the young model.

luvlinens said...

"GOT SAND" Living in Florida I got plenty sand. I posted a couple Post Cards. I also linked to several other posts involving sand. Check out a few.
"Down by the Seaside, By the Beautiful Sea."

Postcardy said...

I have something from 1904 too, but my sailor suits are on sailors.

ScotSue said...

Boys, beaches and a back view are my theme for this week - plus a sideline of hats.

Bob Scotney said...

A new 'landmark' for the North East.

Kristin said...

A 1960 trip to Lake Huron and Ipperwash.

Jofeath said...

My Morrison family have a carefree day out

DougVernX said...

I've become a fashion writer with this one. lol

Boobook said...

A beach holiday

Wendy said...

Sorry for the multiple listings. I'm out of town and working on a cheap tablet that won't copy and paste.

Little Nell said...

I’ve deleted Wendy’s first two links (which didn’t work). I found it really difficult last week, whilst away from home, working on an iPad so she has my sympathy. Commenting is well nigh impossible, so I waited until my return and visited yesterday.

Mike Brubaker said...

Another great theme that lets me put together three musical stories under one heading. All with sailor suits too.

Little Nell said...

Well there’s sand + bags so I’m on theme.

Barbara Rogers said...

Photos that date back to way back in 2011...sorry, but I didn't go into my archives this time. But I've got Beaches!

Sean Bentley said...

Deeply ensconced in my new batch of old photos, I didn't find any relating to sand. Although the Wyoming hills look rather dusty.

Jackie van Bergen said...

An excuse to start the fascinating story of my father in law and WWII. But there is a sailor suit of sorts!

La Nightingail said...

Mothers and sons - Oceanside or otherwise.

Unknown said...

Sands of time and an aching heart for this mother without son, indulge me Sepians. I will be up soon.

Bruno Laliberté said...

I'm kinda, sorta flirting with the theme...
OK, let's be honest:
I'm totally off the track with the theme but I still got plenty to show for.
I said "PLENTY"!!!
;)

Anonymous said...

Sand is a backdrop for some family photos.

anyjazz said...

The Sailor Tailor has been busy!

faizalnizam said...

My first time doing Sepia Saturday. Let me know if I did it wrong.

faizalnizam said...

My first time doing Sepia Saturday. Let me know if I did it wrong.

Anonymous said...

All from the forties - a visit to the sea side, a surfie and a sailor suit. We're still travelling so sorry not able to read and make comments at the moment.