Wednesday 22 January 2014

Sepia Saturday 212 : 25 January 2014


Sometimes, when I put these themes together in advance, I make a bit of a guess at what might be a topical issue when their time comes and they eventually come to fruition. So a month ago, when I was searching around for an image for Sepia Saturday 212 - post your posts on or around Saturday 25 January 2014 - I entered into the realms of the weather forecaster and predicted snow. My predictions - like most predictions - experienced mixed success : Sepians in North America will be sick to death of snow, Sepians in Australia will be longing for snow, and Sepians in the UK are mostly glad that, at the moment, it is confined to old photographs. The image comes from a Cabinet Card in the collection of the national Museum of Norway and features in their Flickr collection. So weather you are longing for snow, hiding from snow, sinking in snow or wearing a hat with a feather in it, it is time to get out your submissions for Sepia Saturday 212.

And whilst you are putting on that extra layer of clothing, here is the next two Sepia Saturday theme pictures to think about.
213 : Suitcases, bags, trunks and portmanteaus

214 : Pianos and players - and pictures within pictures

But all that is for the future. Get your skis on - it's time for Sepia Saturday 212



28 comments:

ScotSue said...

A wartime winter's tale from my father in Luxembourg, 1944.

Miriam Robbins said...

A snapshot of my great-grandmother in 1916-7.

ruckustheeskie said...

Nice! I will link up!

Éire Historian said...

Thank you for the inspiration. As usual, my post will not appear until Saturday, but I hope it will make you smile. It's entitled 'Skis + Horses = Skijoring'

Cheers!

Barbara Rogers said...

An early (on Wed!) Ancestor Saturday post, which is full of juicy information about Texas and the Civil War, but not much skiing or snow. Sorry to be so off topic all over the place, again.

Barbara Rogers said...

An early (on Wed!) Ancestor Saturday post, which is full of juicy information about Texas and the Civil War, but not much skiing or snow. Sorry to be so off topic all over the place, again.

Jofeath said...

Not a lot of snow here in Australia, but it does happen now and then :-)

Jofeath said...

Snow is a rare event in most parts of Aus, many locals have never seen it.

diane b said...

Skiing in Australia in 1959

21 Wits said...

I brought a ski party at a family farm! You bring the hot chocolate and maybe someone else the marshmallows too please!

Postcardy said...

It's Winter Carnival time.

luvlinens said...

I try to stay out of the snow. Too cooold for me. I made this post recently, thought it would be a good link into Sepia Saturday right about now.

Wendy said...

Snow clothes in 1925

Anonymous said...

Honeymoon in the snow in 1929

Bob Scotney said...

No snow this winter so far. I have had to look back a bit.

DougVernX said...

Slide on over to post if you dare.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

My snow pictures were far too boring for this lively group. I decided to concentrate on a nit, being somewhat of a nit picker. What wasn't there....the hole, interested me more than what was there.

Kristin said...

My Uncle Hugh skiing in the 1970s in Idlewild, MI.

Unknown said...

Have been having dastardly PC troubles so bought a new baby today, the old geezer long past his prime..but he has hung in there, lately too much bleeping and blanking.. but will be up in a few hours with this. Serendipity between me and Sepia this week, just last weekend I did my first ever snow shoeing. Something new in my 69h year. Loved it, now that's not Sepia but its the theme....meantime yep, too much snow and arctic cold. See you on site.

Mike Brubaker said...

A musical photo that has just a bit of snow. It is one of the first photos in my collection.

Gill Edwards said...

its good to be back sharing photos with you all again. I love the casual way the bloke is dressed while skiing. No snow here please.
Have a good week
Gill x

Bruno Laliberté said...

On theme and on time,
circa 1901.

Rosie said...

I chose to post some "not so hot pictures" of my day at the beach with my daughter in 2010.

anyjazz said...

More snow.

Alan Burnett said...

Late again, I am afraid : but better late than never I suppose.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

I enjoyed finding some "skiing" photos of this tropical family. Thanks!

diane b said...

Ooops I put the wrong link on the first entry at Number 9. I have done it again .
Alan are you able to delete the wrong one.?

dakotaboo said...

It's been a few weeks, but I'm back. There's snow stopping me now (sorry, awful pun).