Wednesday 20 November 2013

Sepia Saturday 204 : 23 November 2013


Friday, of course, is the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President Kennedy. The 22 November 1963 is one of those dates where big history and small history collide : a date on which anyone alive at the time is supposed to be able to remember what they were doing when they heard the news. Other such dates would include events like Pearl Harbour or the subject of our theme image for Sepia Saturday 204 - the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo on 28 June 1914. There are a variety of interpretation for the prompt : perhaps a photograph of what you were doing on that day in 1963, perhaps an important event in your life which will always act as a historical marker, perhaps a collection of strange and wonderful hats. Whatever your interpretation, post your post on or around Saturday 22 November 2013 and then link it to the list below.

Here is the usual preview of the next two Sepia Saturdays down the line:


205 : This week brings us to the end of November or, as it has become known in much of the world, Movember. Once again it is time to celebrate bearded ladies, moustachioed men, trophies or silly swimming suits.


206 : Aprons our our theme for this week. Ladies in aprons, men in aprons, airports with aprons. 

That is for the future. For Sepia Saturday 204 just look out for those momentous moments, the moments where big history and small history collide.



22 comments:

ScotSue said...

I thought about 9/11 for a Momentous Moment in history, but I have blogged about that a few times, so here I have marked the 50th anniversary of the shooting of President Kennedy.

Bel said...

I thought I was first again but ScotSue has beaten me too it. I wasn't born when Kennedy was shot and Princess Diana's death was more relevant to me, but I've written about something which happened in Christchurch instead!

Postcardy said...

I have some Kennedy postcards.

Jackie van Bergen said...

I'm going way off topic and celebrating those of my ancestors who have celebrated 50 years (or more) of marriage - all the way back to some 4x great grandparents.

Wendy said...

I wish I could be more profound, but alas .... 3 brief memories

Jofeath said...

Do you remember when ...

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

I remember. Perhaps because of our Irish Catholic heritage the assassination seemed very personal.

Alan Burnett said...

Like many others I am going back to that day 50 years ago.

21 Wits said...

I'm going back for a moment too, but I'm still on task of joining my own family history with the world's momentous moments!

Anonymous said...

Let's take a look at Verdun, France. A crucial location during both World Wars and the scene of some lost photos of a soldier.

Unknown said...

I may be slightly off-target here, but I couldn't resist! No tragedies, no wars...all about the event of Thanksgiving!

anyjazz said...

Historical event? Not really. Except for those who are pictured here this week.

As you can probably gather, war is not among my favorite subjects.

Mike Brubaker said...

I take up the cue and present another momentous event recorded on film.
Sort of.
And sort of musical as well.

DougVernX said...

I kept with the wedding theme. :)

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

My post this week (on time!!) is about royalty visiting Papua New Guinea.

GeniAus said...

I was already half way through writing a blog post on Kennedy when I read ScotsSue's post so when I read of the topic for this week I joined in.

Unknown said...

Have witnessed and experienced so many life changing events that it was hard to choose, looking thru photos, I found something different. Will be up in a few hours.

Boobook said...

Not exactly a world event.

Anonymous said...

I've been collecting family stories about JFK this week and have written 2 posts - with one more still to write. I'm going to link them all, so I may be on your "bad" list for this week. I'm sure I'm already on it because I participated last week and haven't gotten round to read and comment on every one yet. Next week I'll not have a brain for writing, so maybe I can read when my head is clear enough - but it is also a holiday - yikes!

Bob Scotney said...

I've featured assassinations as I do not know where I was when JFK was shot.

Anonymous said...

Revisiting an old post, the vehicle in the prompt is what caught my eye, posted one with an interesting touring vehicle on it.

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

Hello! For Thanksgiving I am thankful for my fellow bloggers who inspire & teach & entertain us all. Please visit my blog where I list your blog as one of my favorites. Colleen
http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/2013/11/thankful-thursday-thanksgiving-thanks.html