Wednesday 13 November 2013

Sepia Saturday 203 : 16 November 2013


Have you ever noticed how many photographs are taken in doorways? It might have been the desire to search out a convenient frame, but more likely it was the need to go in search of natural light in order to tease those silver salts into life. Whatever the reason, a lot of old photographs feature doorways and this provides our theme for Sepia Saturday 203 (Post your posts on or around Saturday 16 November and link to the list below). As usual, you can choose any of the elements of our theme image to follow - windows, number 11, small fat old ladies - although try not to be too insulting about the latter as that is my grandmother in the photograph!

Just a quick update on Sepia Saturday 200 : the cutting and pasting is at last finished and I am currently writing the introduction, so don't lose heart - the book will emerge in due course. And my usual apologies for all my tardiness and lateness during the course of the work.

Here is our usual look forward at the next two Sepia Saturday calls.


204 : It is 50 years since the assassination of JFK. It was one of those iconic moments in history, just like the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914. So photographs of momentous moments is one of our themes for this week, along with anything else you might find in the photograph.


205 : This week brings us to the end of November or, as it has become known in much of the world, Movember. Once again it is time to celebrate bearded ladies, moustachioed men, trophies or silly swimming suits.

But put assassinations and moustachinations to one side for the moment. For Sepia Saturday 203 we are asking you to frame yourself - well frame your great uncle Joe - open the door, and enter into the spirit of things.



29 comments:

Bel said...

I'm early again. This post is about a photo from about 1919. I have tried to research the people to give a more interesting story!

La Nightingail said...

There are many different kinds of doorways & I've explored a few.

Jofeath said...

More doorways, and stories of the people posing in them.

Alan Burnett said...

I am early this week. Off for a hospital check-up this afternoon and then we are away for the weekend, so I need to post early. But I have been assured there should be wifi where we are staying so this week, for once, I should be able to visit everyone.

ScotSue said...

Doors and windows are the background to this sentimental journey of family memories.

JohnF said...

Added my thoughts and images. Fun theme.

Kristin said...

Went with the theme of grandmother's in the doorway.

Kat Mortensen said...

Three in a row. It's a miracle!

Anonymous said...

Looking backwards from a doorway in Snitterfield, WAR, c1900

Anonymous said...

Putting up an old blog, since I had a brief short one with a woman on a porch,doorway.

Boobook said...

Yes, I found a couple of photos. And I even found time on holiday to write the blog :)

tony said...

knock-knock......

Bob Scotney said...

Tony's pinched my line.

21 Wits said...

Who's there? Great knocking post this week!

Mike Brubaker said...

I've got a doorway and if you look close you can see out the back door too.

Unknown said...

Not many photos of doorways...but there is one of ME in a doorway!

Wendy said...

I've got a door, but I heard it slam on what I thought was true.

Unknown said...

found a few and will be posting soon

DougVernX said...

A special twist on the number of above the doorway.

Hazel said...

Doors in England - my cue that warmth was nigh!

Hazel

Bruno Laliberté said...

A short [re]post of sort,
and a movie!!
No kidding!!
:)~
HUGZ

Little Nell said...

A bit short of time this week but I managed a short post (relief all round). I’l be away for the next couple of posts but back again soon. I hope the door stays open.

dakotaboo said...

I'm late this week, and if I'm honest I'm lacking inspiration as I have a cold (not quite bad enough to call it man flu yet though - not that would get any more sympathy at home I suspect) so I'm recycling a post I did a few months ago on the subject of doorways, which I have not previously shared on Sepia Saturday. Enyoy ... sniff, sniff, splutter, splutter, cough, cough.

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I will try to get around to everyone, but besides the usual health stuff going on, I also have a toothache. :(
I haven't posted in a while and not I see that the option to leave a comment is limited to Google Account and Open ID. I always preferred the other option, but now I can't think what it is called....

Tattered and Lost said...

First, I apologize for not making the rounds last week. I still intend on going back and reading everything. But on to this week and a couple who leave a lot of questions as they stand in front of their establishment.

Jackie van Bergen said...

No doors, just a small fat old lady and imagining the doors she walked through

Joan said...

Just a tad late for Saturday--- but definitely started before Saturday -- sorry, lousy excuse.

Cassmob (Pauleen) said...

Late again!

Kat Mortensen said...

I think I got to everybody. Well done, ladies and gents!