Monday 4 March 2013

Sepia Saturday 167 : 9 March 2013


For Sepia Saturday 167 we are beside a river or a bay. There are trees, houses, a pier and a steamer. There is also a powerful clue to the exact location because etched into the emulsion of the glass plate negative is the word "Mosman". Mosman is a suburb of Sydney Australia and in this picture we see it as it was about 100 years ago, long before it was absorbed into the growing city. The photograph is part of the collection of the Powerhouse Museum which has been made available via Flickr Commons. Our thanks to Sepian Kathy Matthews for suggesting this as our theme image for this week. You might want to go with boats, water, steamers, piers or writing on photographs : or you might want to paddle your photographic boat in an entirely different direction. This is Sepia Saturday, the choice is yours. All you need to do is to post your post on or around Saturday 9th March 2013 and then add a link to the list below.

And here is our usual preview of what is in store over the next couple of weeks.



168 : Nominated by Sepian John Newmark, this photograph of the Potsdam Conference could make you think of meetings, round tables, famous events, photographers being photographed or almost anything else.



169 : Nominated by Sepian Postcardy, here is a picture of lots of people taking photographs of cherry blossom in Washington. There are all sorts of possibilities here : blossom, monuments, photographers being photographed (again).

Such things can be forgotten for the moment whilst we concentrate on Sepia Saturday 167. So get your post ready, get your link included and make sure you don't miss the boat.




36 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I never; it pays to "Be Prepared"

tony said...

Yo Ho-ho & a bottle of Rum!

Postcardy said...

Anchors aweigh!

Kristin said...

The Afram River and Freedom School - 1964. And I'm early!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Thanks, Alan! I am going to do two posts this week, and here is the first one ... Some Letsom Letters vintage postcards.

Kathy M.

Sean Bentley said...

The rain is back and so I return (early and on topic!!) to sepia territory after one day of sunnyday neighborhood shutterbugging.

Boobook said...

This time we're on holiday in Australia the 1930s.

Bob Scotney said...

English and Norwegian shots this week.

Barbara Rogers said...

So glad to have a chance to share these 1904 remains of photos.

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Okay, my second one is now posted ... some pictures and history about the 1927 lighthouse tender U.S. Wakerobin turned into a haunted tourist attraction, The U.S.S. Frightliner.

Kathy M.

Nigel Aspdin (Derby, UK) said...

Here again...short of comment as usual.

Little Nell said...

I got Sea Fever this week!

Brett Payne said...

A mammoth post from me this week, I'm afraid. I hope you can persevere till the end - you will be rewarded.

Wendy said...

I almost missed the boat on this one, but I have some damaged photos worth sharing.

Sherri said...

You'll have to read all the way to the end to see the tie to this week's prompt.

Alan Burnett said...

I am afraid that my contribution this week reflects the fact that it was written between reading chapters of William Shirer's magnificent "Berlin Diary"

Mike Brubaker said...

I'm afraid I have no Australian landscape photos, so all I can offer is a widescreen photo of a forgotten orchestra.

Anonymous said...

I'm asking for some Sepian input, but not in the usual sense. Let's have some fun with these three snapshots I have found.

dakotaboo said...

I mamaned to "double theme" this week with some ships and some water. Not difficult I guess as not many pictures of ships in dry docks in my collection.

Howard said...

err, completely off-topic as usual from me

TransDutch said...

I'm back with several honeymoon photos including bodies of water

DougVernX said...

Love those old steamboats! I've got a little one to post.

Kathy said...

I'm afraid I'm stuck in a series and can't escape. Waiting to be told "enough of these people already!!!" I imagined a way to make it fit the theme though.

Tattered and Lost said...

A vintage snapshot from Hong Kong Harbor in 1945.

Éire Historian said...

'Come with me, my love, to the sea, the sea of love' started playing in my mind when I saw the inspiration image, and it reminded me of pics of my mom and dad when they were young. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Bruno Laliberté said...

Bon Voyage!!!
:)~
HUGZ

Unknown said...

Oboy, I just love it when the prompt sends me to exactly the right photo in my family archives! Thanks, Alan!

ScotSue said...

No vintage photos this week, but memories of Down by the Riverside.

anyjazz said...

People on boats? No problem!

Wibbo said...

Boats in Brittany this week :o)

L. D. said...

I am finally now on board for this water thing. I need to start earlier in the week to start writing and photo searching.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion you are mistaken. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.
I think, that you commit an error. Write to me in PM.
I would like to talk to you on this question.
On mine the theme is rather interesting. I suggest you it to discuss here or in PM.
It has surprised me.

[url=http://mkbagcheap2.webstarts.com/index.html?r=20130122022030][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiyy.altervista.org/chelsea-flower-show-2012-featuring-the-most-recent-in-garden-design/?doing_wp_cron=1358299564.0287659168243408203125][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.tripod.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyitt.webstarts.com/?r=20130123215416][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiw.webnode.cn/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

My ship has finally sailed! :-)

caijsa said...

My ships arrived at port a little late.

Amy Urman said...

Mom and a ship off Navy Pier in Chicago.

Unknown said...

Me being here is Karen's fault.